ADP Debate RD3
Two rbs you might be debating in the 3rd round of your drafts are Todd Gurley and Leonard Fournette. I like both of these backs as your RB2, but I prefer Fournette. I have him as a Top 12 back this year. I found someone Fantasy Couch who was much lower on him. In fact, Couch is a good 31 spots lower on him than ADP. He has him as the RB24. Let’s debate:
🛋 Reasons to draft Gurley:
- Rams had a great o-line in 2018, but PFF ranked them 2nd-to-last in 2019, only ahead of Miami.
- Falcons heavily invested in their o-line, and if they can stay healthy, it has the potential to be top 12.
- Matt Ryan balls out during even years (look it up). The Falcons should be moving the ball up and down the field with ease.
- The knee is a concern, but that is factored in to his cheap price. He was a 1st rounder last year, now he’s a 3rd.
🛋 Reasons to avoid Fournette:
- 100 targets last year — won’t happen again. Those dump offs and short passes will go to 3rd-down back Chris Thompson and rookie WR Laviska Shenault.
- Too many red flags with. He has been suspended for fighting, arrested, benched, disciplined and is an NFL bust. This was another huge mistake on draft day by the Jags.
- Jags declined his 5th year option and were trying to trade him — no team wanted him.
- When was the last time a fantasy owner was excited to draft an NFL bust in the early rounds?
Reasons to avoid Gurley:
- That knee. With Gurley, you’re holding your breathe with every handoff. How much athleticism does he have left?
- New offense. It may be high powered, but it “runs” through the passing attack. How involved will he be?
- OC Dirk Koetter’s RBs have finished in the bottom 10 in rushing yards 7 out of the past 8 seasons. YIKES! 😱
Reasons to draft Fournette:
- Elite opportunity. Ranked 2nd to only CMac. Not worried about Chris Thompson.
- TD regression. Jags had a 24-3 pass to rush TD ratio. Whatever Fournette loses in receptions can easily be made up for in TDs.
- Gardner Minshew’s 2nd year as starter. Jags offense can only improve from last season when he was thrown to the wolves.
- Fournette is in a contract year. It won’t be with the Jags, but he NEEDS to ball out if he wants someone to pay him in 2021.
This is going to be an interesting season for both backs playing on what might be their last seasons on their current rosters. I'll be watching closely.
If you haven't already, be sure to check out Fantasy Couch's latest rankings.